Tuesday 6 December 2011

Angela Lansbury Week 2011 - Day Two

What the what?! It's Day Two of Angela Lansbury Week 2011?! When did that happen? Today's drawing by me is about how Angela Lansbury's character in Bedknobs and Broomsticks doesn't look like a traditional witch. And if you thought the one with brown hair was me in drag...well, good. That's what you were meant to think. But enough about me. I hope you're enjoying Angela Lansbury Week so far. Here's the next batch of brilliant beauties! I hope you like them.


What’s that? Up there! In outer space!!? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It’s Angela Lansbury… IN SPACE!!!! This galactic beauty was created by Joe who I was lucky enough to sit behind at this year’s Thought Bubble. Although I can’t say for sure whether Angela has been to space – on film or in real life. I bet she could if she wanted to though. And there’s been so many episodes of Murder, She Wrote that there must have been one set in space…right? Also, I think this might have been my first submission for Angela Lansbury Week 2011. Excellent work, Joe! YAY FOR YOU!


MRS ‘ARRIS ALERT!!! MRS ‘ARRIS ALERT!!! It’s that time of the day when we all go on a money-saving montage! What’s that? You don’t get the joke? Well, that’s because you haven’t seen the brilliant Angela Lansbury classic, Mrs ‘Arris Goes To Paris. Well, Lizz has seen it and she even decided to draw it for Angela Lansbury Week! HOORAY! Lizz has done a great job with capturing Mrs ‘Arris’ sweet nature along with her steely determination. And the hat! Oh the hat! A thing of beauty! Thanks Lizz!


One of my favourite things about going to conventions is meeting nice and interesting people. People like Martin – the kind soul who drew this super cute Lansbury. It’s such a cute drawing, I’ll even overlook the misspelling of her surname. In fact, Martin, gets bonus points for including a copy of People I Know in his drawing! Take note everyone! Thanks Martin!


If you’ve met me in person then you’ve probably heard me talk about two things: how great I think Angela Lansbury is and how much I wish I could grow a proper beard. Well, let me tell you – Rembrand doesn’t wish he could grow a proper beard…because he already has an impressive one (with a curly moustache!). This isn’t Angela Lansbury-related, I just wanted to put that out there before I start talking about how brilliant (but slightly disturbing) his drawing of Mrs Potts is. So wrong but so right. Thanks Rembrand!


One of the things I really like about doing these themed weeks is when people I know ask their pals (who I don’t know) to get involved. So, I’m very happy to introduce this drawing by Richard – a friend of some friends. The only bad news is that because we’ve never actually met, I can’t tell you any personal stories about him. Sorry. Instead, I’d like to draw your attention to the ever-present Jessica Fletcher trademarks – necklace, hair and typewriter. Clearly Richard know his Murder, She Wrote. Although obviously Angela later upgraded to a computer in the later series. Unless I just imagined that? Either way, thanks Richard!


I know I keep going on about how many amazing roles Angela Lansbury has played in her career and how some people only relate her to certain ones… but that clearly isn’t a problem for Andrew! As you can tell from the incredible drawing above, Andrew decided to draw the terrifying Great Aunt Adelaide from Nanny McPhee. You might have seen the film and totally not realised it was Angela, and that’s fine. But if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it as it’s good fun. Thanks for this Andrew (I don’t know why I’m calling you Andrew though. It seems so formal. Thanks Andy!!!)


I asked a bunch of people from work to take part in Angela Lansbury Week… Mainly to be polite. But also because I suspect that some of them are hiding artistic talents. So I was thrilled that lovely Mia sent in this technicolour beauty. She has chosen to depict Eglantine Price – the apprentice witch from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I haven’t watched it in a while but I know I have the DVD somewhere. Mia’s brilliant drawing has really made me want to watch it again. Thanks Mia!


Jessica Fletcher is one of the most iconic character in television history. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that. Murder, She Wrote is a brilliant show (except for the series where she just narrated a story) and Jessica is a great character. You know who else is great? Matt – the hideously cool guy who sent in this drawing. What I really like about this one is the detail in her outfit. The scarf! The sensible shoes! The pleated skirt! I doubt Jessica ever wore a robot brooch – but she’s got one here! Thanks Matt!

 And thusly, we come to the end of Day Two of Angela Lansbury Week! I hope you enjoyed all the hard work people put into their submissions! I'm blown away - and we're not even halfway through yet. Urnk!

No comments: