Monday 6 December 2010

Jessica Fletcher Week 2010: Epilogue

It's Monday and Jessica Fletcher Week 2010 is finished. Well, it should be but my pal asked me to judge an Angela Lansbury Drawing Competition that she is having in the office. I'm not making this up. Seriously. I could show you the email if that wasn't creepy. So I obviously said yes and here are the three entries. Oh - and I'm sorry but my scanner wasn't keen on the pencils used. In fact, I think it hated them. Sorry!

ENTRY ONE: This one makes lovely use of smooth and flowing lines to really give a sense of Jessica Fletcher's grace. It is also festive, depicting a bloody corpse under the Christmas tree. That's so Jessica. The only thing I'm not keen on is the way they've done her hair. Jessica Fletcher had splendid hair that was never anything less than perfect. She did not just have a hat made of hair. Harrumph.


ENTRY TWO: Remember - this is an Angela Lansbury Drawing Competition - not just Jessica Fletcher. They've gone for the lady from Bedknobs and Broomsticks - who has a name that I can't be bothered to look up right now because it's late and I'm tired. We shall just call her Susan. I like the loose lines used for the bed. They become a bit too angry during the brush - perhaps a comment on gender stereotypes withing modern society?
ENTRY THREE: This is a simple yet effective portrait of one of the finest actresses ever. With a show like Murder, She Wrote under their belt, it would be easy to forget Ms. Lansbury's other classics. Beauty and the Beast! Mrs 'Arris Goes to Paris! The Company of Wolves! This drawing has such confidence, it almost radiates fame. The lines are assured and the composition is direct. This drawing commands our attention, just like Ms. Lansbury commands respect from everyone ever. A fine work.


But alas. There can only be one winner. And that honour goes to ENTRY ONE! Not because they drew Jessica Fletcher rather than Angela Lansbury, but because they made an effort with trying to draw a hand. It's a pain that I can really sympathise with. And it's Christmas time. Congratulations to whoever drew it!

So yes - thank you very much for asking me to judge. And thank you for drawing stuff. Whilst I'm thanking people - I'd like to (once again) thank everyone that took part in Jessica Fletcher Week 2010. The response was amazing. I had something like over sixty Jessica Fletchers sent in! That's AMAZING! And also, double thanks to everyone at the Manchester Comix Collective for their fine work! Finally, thanks to everyone who came along to read it! I'll pay you back one day!

No comments: