Wednesday 30 December 2009

Review of the Year: True Blood (and Jedward)


 Back in my school days, I spent a lot of time in the library reading books. Not just any books though - oh no - I'm talking about those types of books that you read during your early teenage years that stay with you forever. In my case, these books were mostly written by David Eddings or Diana Wynne Jones.

That's right - I was a sucker for magical fantasy books about young teenagers overcoming all sorts of odds with the help of their newly discovered magical abilities. That alone tells you how much of a loser I am.

Yeah. I still love those books and I really miss being so invested in a group of characters that I have to read every book as soon as I possibly can - whether that's two epic tales (five books each!) about Garion and his gang or the loosely-connected goings on at Chrestomanci Castle. What really fuelled my passion for these books was that I already had a large back catalogue to work through - I don't think I have the patience to wait around for books to be released / held back because the publisher wants a 'Summer release' or something.

Anyways! So for some unknown reason (it might have been on sale?) I picked up the first book in the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. I refer to the books as True Blood since that's the name of the television show - and also because it makes the whole thing sound sassy. I wasn't impressed with Twilight so I didn't start reading Ms. Harris' work because of the vampire-angle. I just bought it. Get over it. Not only did I read it - but I actually really enjoyed it. So much so that I made two further trips to the same shop and got the rest of the books. I think there's about eight or nine at the moment? I read them all quickly - aided by the fact that they require little / no actual thought and because they are jolly good fun.

Seriously. Stop looking at me like that. They are really really fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously. People keep dropping like flies - to be replaced by other characters that rarely last long. There is character development, sort of. Sure, it gets a bit Mills and Boon when things get steamy - but that just makes me love it more.

The television show is the complete opposite. I really wanted to like it...but just couldn't. I don't know why and it makes me sad. Boo hoo. Whatever, don't watch it. Just read the books. There will be a new one out soon.

EDIT: I forgot to say why Jedward and Peaches Geldof are there. Jedward loomed large across the tail-end of 2009. They were all sorts of wrong but were perfect for fitting the bill of 'people who wouldn't bother a telepath with their thoughts.' Peaches Geldof happened to be on the television as I was drawing and she came across so badly that I wanted to include her too. Her and Jedward would make a cute couple.

And by 'cute,' I mean 'utterly vile.'


No comments: